Monday, December 26, 2011

Thoughts On Giving...

We had a wonderful Christmas and received gifts this year that were far less consumery and far more thoughtful than ever before. My mother gave me a photo of myself at 6 months along with the very dress I was wearing in the photo and a gift certificate to get Amelia's photo taken when she reaches 6 months. My inlaws gave us a night's stay at a fancy hotel along with babysitting for the night so that the two of us can go on a nice date. Me and Beck are going to a class to learn how to knit. What creative and thoughtful people we have in our family.

It makes me think of this article about helping kids cultivate a giving identity. Growing up, whenever we'd ask what my mom wanted for Christmas, she'd tell us to make her something. We never really believed her, but now that I'm here, I totally understand. Who wouldn't want a pasta necklace created just for them over a sweater that other people have too? The pasta necklace after all is nearly couture (*and if made in Paris in a building where 10 others are also making one-of-a-kind noodle necklaces actually would follow the rules of couture). And, as they say, it really is the thought. How lovely. For Amelia to understand this is one of my wishes for her. One of a great many and one that my mother succeeded in instilling in me. Me and Beck each wrote her a love letter for Christmas this year and gave her tickets to the Love Letters Mural tour in Philadelphia. So we'll make her some memories to fulfill the "make me something" request this year.

2 comments:

Denise said...

What great gifts! I can't wait to see the picture of Amelia, and compare it to the picture of you! I made 4 homemade gifts this year, and they were my favorite to give out. My girls made ornaments (again) for everyone. Next year we will do more homemade gifts, and I am starting a new tradition of making something for each of my girls and Danny. It was fun, and had a lot of meaning. Thanks for sharing this! It's great to know that homemade gifts are so well received.

nicole s. said...

<3 love you ladies